Saturday, March 20, 2010

My "Creative Maladjustment" Talk Now Online

I was just updating my resume for my annual performance review and was double checking the dates of the Psychology-Ecology-Sustainability conference at Lewis and Clark College--where I gave one of three keynote addresses in 2007. Well, by doing that web search, I learned that my entire talk, which was entitled "Creative Maladjustment: Activism as a Way of Healing Self, Society, and Planet," has been put online at Google Video by Lewis and Clark.

It is one of my favorite and most comprehensive public talks, so I'm including the video below in case anyone is interested. You really have to want to watch it to click on it, though, as the talk is about 75 minutes long and the first four or five minutes are plagued by some minor sound problems (which can be skipped though). Still, once I get rolling, I tell some of my best stories and I speak fairly comprehensively about the politics of creating a "psychologically smart" social movement for ecological sustainability and environmental justice. So, hey, I'm just putting it out there for folks in case any of you are interested...

4 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Lizzie said...

I love the trucker in a bar story! It exactly caputes how important listening - really listening - is to organizing a campaign or community. Nice speech, hope it was well-received.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger STEVE CHASE said...

Hi Liz,

It was well received. I got a standing ovation. My first ever. Lots of positive comments and emails afterward. It was very gratifying to see people respond so strongly to contributing their psychological insights to building a strong movement for a transition to greater sustainability, social justice, and spiritual fulfillment.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Lizzie said...

You mean you don't get a standing ovation at the end of every lecture at Antioch? :)

Glad to gear you're making those connections and helping others think critically about the role their profession can (must) play in creating social justice.

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous kristi said...

hi steve,

glad this is online now! i was there and it was really inspiring.
we met there and i keep sharing your work with folks, especially this keynote.

i was at antioch seattle where i did my BA, now i am doing an MA in psych in california. i did that pamphlet called "counterbalance: what sustains us? what stops us? thoughts on activism and mental health".

i am now getting into the research phase of my MA and i am looking into the relationship between psychology and social change work. i will be getting in touch with you for some advice!

thanks for your work!
kristi kenney

 

Post a Comment

<< Home